Ever wondered how a rapid antigen test (RAT) works?
Or better yet- ever wondered how a PCR test works?
Well look no further, because I wrote about it a little while ago! 😂
I tried to make it as lay person friendly as possible and there’s lots of diagrams to help.
Just don’t steal my diagrams without crediting me. 🤣 Because I’ve already had that happen.
- Click HERE for an explanation on how RATs work
- Click HERE for an explanation on how to extract genetic material from your swab for a PCR test
- Click HERE for the basics of a standard PCR
- Click HERE for the basics of an RT-PCR (what’s actually used for COVID testing)
- And then click HERE for the finale post, tying all these complex processes together
Because it’s never wrong to wonder how things work. Always remain curious!
Stay safe, and if you’re in the Southern Hemisphere like me- get your flu (influenza) vaccine! It’s back in action this year. 💉
A Ph. D graduate in Microbiology, residing in Victoria, Australia. Currently working in multiple locations but still in the STEM field. 👀 🦠 🧫 🧬
I went to my Ballarat doctor a week ago and they don’t have the flu shots yet. And thanks again for the explanations.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Fingers crossed they roll them out soon! It would be good to get it done by the end of May.