This piece is filled with cloning jargon! You have been warned!
In a previous post, I explained my upcoming experiments in a bit of detail. Prepare for an update on how that’s all going!
FYI highly recommend reading the previous post to make sense of this current one.
I’m currently wandering around the cloning stage of my upcoming experiment.
I successfully managed to generate my first plasmid DNA (‘Plasmid #2’), so I basically completed step 1-10 already.
But now that I have Plasmid #2, I now need to make the rest of the plasmids I actually need for my experiments. Enter Plasmid #3, #4 and #5…
I was basically trying to cut my inserts out of Plasmids #3, #4, and #5, then put it into Plasmid #2.
But even with the odds being somewhat against me, this process just wasn’t going as well as it usually does. Something was wrong.
And it dawned on me.
I completely forgot that Plasmid #2 already had an EcoRI site (which you can see next to the pink bit on my diagram). So what was happening was, when I cut with EcoRI, I lost the pink and orange bits- both very important components I definitely can’t do without!!
So we’re going to revise our methodology to accommodate this issue. Glad I remembered now rather than later, but… *sighs*
And so the cloning continues…
Categories: Ph D posts
A former wet-lab based Bacteriology Ph. D student residing in Australia. Now working part time at a secret location as a Communications and Data Officer. 👀 🦠 🧫 🧬